As the summer of 2016 begins to wind down, I’d like to pause and take a moment to reflect on its pink, effervescent star: rosé. Rosé (a rose-hued wine for the uninitiated) was a refreshing staple at brunches and poolside parties all summer long, dominating the collective social imagination and social media alike. It popped up in multiple forms, as well, including its frozen slushie version, “frosé,” and the masculinity-preserving “brosé.” And with all of this attention came a litany of hashtags on social media—#rosé, #frosé, #brosé, and, my personal favorite, #roséallday. No other hashtag, it seemed, more succinctly encapsulated what it meant to have a good time this summer than #roséallday. Admittedly, I’ve tried rosé once and didn’t particularly care for it (I’m an IPA guy to the core of my being; welcome to San Diego), but I’d be remiss as an analytically minded individual, who likes to think he has his finger on popular culture’s pulse, to not spend a few minutes digging deeper into the cultural phenomenon that is #roséallday.
Luckily for me, Red Door empowers its employees with an impressive arsenal of marketing analytics tools, including the social media monitoring and listening tool NetBase (pop on over here to read an introduction to NetBase and its capabilities). For now, I’ll just say that while people everywhere were tweeting and Instagramming sundrenched photos of glasses of pink wine and tagging them with #roséallday or #roseallday, I’ve been tracking them, dating back to June 2014. So let’s see what we’ve found.
Patient Zero: The Origin Story
First, let’s start from the beginning when #roséallday was born. That beginning appears to be in April 2010, when the intrepid and enterprising Twitter user @DIORSWORLD305 announced to the rest of us that they, as a #boss chick, were indeed popping bottles, punctuating the tweet with an emphatic #roseallday. See here:
@DIORSWORLD305 has since deleted their account and this tweet, but it lives on in retweet form, like the remains of a shipwreck perfectly preserved in the frigid ocean depths.
Now let’s fast forward a few years. America’s interest in rosé began to grow in 2012, thanks in large part to Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie releasing their own rosé vintage Miraval. It wasn’t until 2015, however, that #roséallday truly entered the social media lexicon. The chart below depicts the relative growth of #roséallday’s use from June 2014 to the end of July 2016, with a significant bump between May and September of 2015. If summer 2015 was #roséallday’s quinceañera, the summer of 2016 was its debutante ball:
The hashtag’s use nearly tripled from one summer to the next; as of late August 2016, over 120,000 Instagram posts are tagged with #roseallday or #roséallday. #Roséallday has arrivée.
The Portrait of a Rosé Drinker
“So who then,” you’re wondering to yourself as the insatiably curious individual that you are, “are these people using the #roséallday hashtag?” NetBase provides a lens into what different social media audiences look like and, in this case, what #roséallday Nation is like. It likely comes as little surprise to you that the large majority of them are women—71%, in fact. The remaining 29% are men who do not care about your masculine normativity and expectations. Or the “B” key on their keyboard is broken, and they just couldn’t let their #brosé experiences go unshared on social media.
#Roséallday knows no age limits (except to those under 21)—while 22% of its users fall in the 25-34 age range, 30% are between the ages of 45 and 64. Based on hashtags that people use in conjunction with #roséallday in their posts, we have a view into where its users are located. #NYC, #MiamiBeach, #TheHamptons, #SantaMonica, #Malibu, and #Brooklyn are the city-based hashtags most frequently used with #roséallday. When do people drink rosé? Well, if related hashtag use is any indicator, Sundays (#sundayfunday), Fridays (#fridayfeeling), and Wednesdays (#winesday, #winewednesday) are prime rosé drinking occasions. And, of course, #happyhour.
The area in which NetBase really shines is its ability to provide contextual insights into how people are talking about particular topics on social media, or what they’re talking about when they use a hashtag like #roséallday. For the most part, it appears that situations warranting a #roséallday hashtag are, well, pretty excellent. Posts featuring #roséallday are resoundingly positive in nature. Here are some of the words most commonly used in association with it:
So here’s to you, #roséallday. I don’t get you, but I respect you. If summer’s end signals this hashtag’s hibernation, I don’t doubt that we’ll see it back in full force by May 2017. And thanks to social listening tools like NetBase, I’ll be tracking it (and other emerging trends in the social media sphere).
Love yourself some #roséallday? Click the image below to tweet your rose-colored obsession and share this post.